Filling one bowl meals are my favorite go-to summer meals. This combinations is as flexible as most of my other dishes. Great for potluck gatherings and for BBQ’s. It will hold up well in warm weather. And it will suit everyone… it’s vegan, but no one has to know!
Start with your favorite salsa combination. Stone fruit is a fantastic idea! Pineapple or mango! This started out as a quickly thrown together salsa and turned into a filling meal. Combine cooked quinoa with any salsa combination to give it new life and new flavor!
Black Bean Confetti Salsa
Serves 10-12 as a side
1 1/2 cups rainbow quinoa
2 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
2 3/4 cups water
1 14oz can blackbeans, drained and rinsed
2 cups corn, freshly shucked or frozen and defrosted
2 small red peppers, finely diced
2 shallots, finely diced
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons mild olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
*Optional additions: tomatoes, avocado, pineapple, stone fruit
1. In a medium sized pot, heat olive oil or butter. Add quinoa and stir to coat the kernels. Let the quinoa heat through and toast a little bit. 3-4 minutes.
2. Add water to pot. Bring to a boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid and turn down the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 18 minutes.
3. Take the pot off of the heat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
4. Put the quinoa into a large bowl. Let the quinoa cool to room temperature.
5. In a medium sized bowl, combine blackbeans, corn, red peppers, shallots, lime zest and juice. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy the mixture on it’s own with fresh pita chips…. or…
6. Combine the black bean mixture with cooled quinoa.
7. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for 3-4 days. Tastes best at room temperature.
Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!