Here’s a great salad that uses a bit of mayo to make an otherwise boring salad, extraordinary! I usually don’t use a mayonnaise-based salad dressing because I find them too heavy and bulky. A mayo-based dressing works so well in this salad because the flavors and texture of the broccoli and cauliflower are so strong on their own that a slightly creamier dressing helps to them mellow out.
The salad is crunchy and refreshing and will travel well; just pack the dressing separately, in a refrigerated case and add it to the salad when you get to your destination! The kids love it and it will be a big hit at potluck dinners. Enjoy and let me know what you think in comments!
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad with Turkey Bacon
Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad with Turkey Bacon
- Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad with Turkey Bacon
Serves 10-12 as a side Adapted from Melissa D’Arabian
1 8oz package Trader Joe’s uncured turkey bacon (or soy bacon)
1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/2 red onion, diced
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or another mild flavored oil)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
1. On a large baking sheet, broil turkey bacon (or soy bacon) until crispy. Approximately 8 minutes on one side and then 5 minutes on the other side. Let bacon cool and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Reserve.
2. In a large bowl combine broccoli florets, cauliflower florets and diced red onion.
3. Combine dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add dressing to large bowl with broccoli, cauliflower and red onion. Toss to combine.
5. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for 1-2 days. Tastes best at room temperature.
6. Top with turkey bacon pieces prior to serving.
Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!