In a previous post, for Lemon Ricotta Syrniki, I mentioned that there isn’t a Russian equivalent to American pancakes. The premise for “oladi” style pancakes is simple: flour + egg + another ingredient. Oladi can be made with fruit or yogurt or kefir. I make these banana oladi any time I have bananas that are destined for greater glory. Pulling these three ingredients together is much faster than banana bread or muffins.
These banana oladi are perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack-time or brinner. They travel well and are yummy hot, warm or at room temperature! If you happen to sneak one directly from the fridge, you won’t regret it… they’re delicious anytime! They’re a go-to staple at our house for road trips and days at the lake/beach.
The recipe also works with other fruit like apples, pears, plums, peaches or nectarines. If you try other fruits or with yogurt/kefir, you’ll need to adjust the flour and egg proportions to bind the pancake.
4 ripe bananas (slightly over-ripe)
Mash the bananas
2 Jumbo Eggs + 1/2 cup All Purpose Unbleached Flour
Mix to combine
Use a soup spoon, size may vary
Spoon batter onto a skillet
Flip over when edges are lightly golden brown
Serve banana oladi alone or with a fun topping
3 Ingredient Banana Pancakes Oladi (оладья)
Makes approximately 30 oladi (2″ diameter)
4 ripe or slightly over-ripe bananas
2 Jumbo eggs
1/2 cup AP flour or GF AP flour
Canola oil for skillet (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mash bananas.
2. Add eggs and flour. Mix to combine.
3. Heat a non-stick pan to medium/medium-low. Add a splash of canola oil (about 1 tablespoon) and let the oil heat up.
4. Spoon batter onto skillet. I can get 9 pancakes on my pan, your amount will depend on the size of your skillet.
5. When the edges turn golden brown (about 3-4 minutes), flip the pancakes in the same order that you poured the batter into the skillet.
NOTE: if the pancakes burn, turn the heat down. If the pancakes don’t brown quickly enough, turn up the heat a bit.
6. Let pancakes cook for another 3-4 minutes.
7. Remove onto paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil
8. Optional: serve with sour cream, Fage, jam, Nutella or honey.
10. Eat immediately (after they cooled down for a bit) or refrigerate and enjoy later.
Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!