I’m new to the world of slow cooking. Generally, I like speed and efficiency. I like quick and easy. And that’s why I now love the slow cooker. With a bit of pre-planning, it actually makes meal-making quick and easy. It’s quite possible that it was the original “Set It and Forget It” machine.
I’m trying the slow cooker during the summer in an attempt to minimize the stovetop and oven. Some days, the heat in the apartment borderlines on unbearable.
This chicken reheats beautifully, so if you have one of this huge crock pots, go ahead and double the recipe. It is also a great dish to feed a large crowd. Because it’s a slow cooker dish from start to finish, it allows you time with your guests when they arrive. Whether you serve it up with mashed potatoes, couscous or rice, your family and friends will love it!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Makes 6 entrees
3/4 cup orange marmalade
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
1 tablespoon crusted garlic, or 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Combine flour with salt and pepper.
- Remove visible fat from chicken thighs and drumsticks. Lightly coat each piece in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Combine orange juice, marmalade, soy sauce and garlic in a small bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Pour sauce into slow cooker. One piece at a time, place the chicken into the sauce, ensuring that there is some sauce between each piece. (DO NOT overfill your slow cooker).
- Cover with glass lid. Set indicator to LOW and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Remove thighs from slow cooker and stir sauce well. Top thighs with extra sauce.
- Serve with Ginger Pineapple Brown Rice.