Every year during Passover, abstaining from baked goods isn’t difficult… until the second day. And then the third day… These days, there are lots of store bought options as well as fantastic ideas online available to those that observe the holiday.
These muffins are so yummy that you will want to make them with all of the extra matzo cake meal that you have left over from the holiday! Go ahead and do it… no one will know that these were intended to be Passover-friendly!
Super Fluffy Apple Banana Matzo Muffins
Makes approximately 20 muffins (depending on the size of your muffin pan and how full you fill each pocket)
1 2/3 cups all purpose matzo cake meal
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 cup apple sauce
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
1 Gala apple, coarsly grated
2 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Canola oil for muffin tin (spread with a small napkin) or Non stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line muffin tin with liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray or wipe each pocket with a napkin and canola oil.
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon (optional) and salt.
2. Beat sugar, eggs and egg whites with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
3. Add apple sauce, mashed bananas, grated apple, creme fraiche, and vanilla.
4. Fold in dry ingredients.
5. Fill each muffin pocket about 2/3 full.
6. Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until toothpick in center comes out clean.
Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!