When my son was in Kindergarten, his class had an International Pot Luck. Although I can’t remember what I brought to the event, I will never forget a turkey breast that was made by a mom of his classmate. There was something magical there. A piece of turkey that was moist, juicy and delicious even when served at room temperature?!
The recipe that Keren provided was similar to the way I provide recipes. Totally flexible and not requiring exact proportions. Years later, I’m still making Keren’s recipe and sharing it in the same way that she shared it with me. Apparently, our style of recipe sharing annoys most people who like to have exact proportions. Sheesh! About a year ago, when I was making the dish, I was patient enough to write down the proportions and steps.
Sharing it makes me almost as happy as eating it!
Note: Cooking time will depend on a bone-in turkey breast or boneless turkey breast.
|Bone-In turkey breasts (4 breasts)
|Slices of Brined Turkey Breast
Brined Turkey Breast
Brined Turkey Breast
1 boneless turkey breast*
2 Tablespoons Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups warm water (or more)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce (or Tamari)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 teaspoons paprika
2-3 crushed garlic cloves
*Increase proportions for each additional turkey breast that you make. If you are making a bone-in turkey breast, that’s two full breasts and you’ll need to double the recipe.
1. Into a large glass bowl, pour kosher salt, brown sugar and freshly ground black pepper. Add warm water and stir to dissolve.
2. Place turkey breast into the bowl of water. If there isn’t enough water to cover the breast, add a bit more.
3. Cover the bowl with Saran Wrap or a tight fitting lid and place in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place oven rack into middle of the oven.
4. Remove turkey from brine and pat dry with a paper towel (don’t wash it). Place it into a baking dish.
5. In a small bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce (or tamari), olive oil, paprika and crushed garlic cloves.
6. Spread the mixture over all parts of the turkey breast.
7. Bake times will vary. Please use an internal thermometer (with an external reader). Remove turkey breast from oven at 160 degrees and the temperature will continue to increase past 165 degrees.
Approximate bake time for a single boneless turkey breast is 45 minutes.
Approximate bake time for a bone-in turkey breast (two breasts) is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
8. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.