The downside to having kids who are adventurous eaters is hearing things like, “we don’t like chicken” and “chicken is boring”. We eat chicken about as often as we eat red meat, about once a week. I try to keep things interesting and use different parts of the chicken as well as different types of preparation.
“Fun” food is a guaranteed winner in my house, regardless of what that food is. The kids think that Cornish Game Hens are small chickens, and for the most part they’re right. In the States, they’re just a different breed of chicken that is smaller and develops faster.
Cornish Game Hens are also fantastic for entertaining. They’re great as a beautiful and filling entree centerpiece. They hold up well to most seasonings and are forgiving in the oven. They are truly perfect mini chickens!
|Rub olive oil, dried herbs and lemon zest all over the hen, inside and out.|
|Insert zested lemon (or fresh lemon) into the cavity of the hen.|
|Lemon Herbed Cornish Game Hens|
Lemon Herbed Cornish Game Hens
Makes 6 Cornish Game Hens
6 Cornish Game Hens (cleaned, giblets removed and patted dry)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Poultry Seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning
Zest from 6 lemons
6 lemons (use the zested lemons or fresh lemons)
Preheat oven to 425 °F, with the rack positioned in the middle of the oven.
1. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, poultry seasoning, TJ’s Everday Seasoning and lemon zest.
2. Rub the oil mixture all over the cornish hens, inside and out. Place them on a large baking sheet.
3. Insert one lemon into each hen cavity.
4. Bake for about 45 minutes, until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
5. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.
Eat, Drink & Be Yummy!